Hammer Toe is a toe (usually your small toes) that is bent downwards permanently. This occurs because the long muscles of the lower part of the leg overwhelm the small muscles of the foot. This then results in the bending of your toes which can in turn cause problems like calluses, inflammation of the affected area, or pain and irritation when putting on shoes.
How did this happen?
- Possibly due to family medical history
- Tight shoes
- Damage to the nerves
What should I do?
- Refrain from wearing high heels or tight shoes
- Use shoes with ample toe room (approximately one thumb space from the tip of the shoe and your toes)
- Seek help from a podiatrist
What kind of help can I get?
- A podiatrist can use padding to protect corns and calluses from irritation
- Medical insoles can be prescribed to meet your specific needs to balance your tendons and muscles
- Realignment of the toe can be done using orthotic device done by a podiatrist
- Surgery is only done when the affected toe has become too rigid, is painful or there is an open wound
Get in touch with us
If you want a faster respond, kindly reach out to us on WhatsApp here with your name and foot concern. We will get back to you as soon as possible.