Hallux Valgus is the most common foot deformity of the big toe joint. It usually causes the big toe to push towards the smaller toes causing discomfort and pain. This then leads to a significant functional disability.
How did this happen?
- Family medical history of Hallux Valgus
- Tight footwear
What should I do?
- Refrain from wearing high heels, wear comfortable footwear with ample toe room (approx one thumb size from the tip of the shoe and your toes)
- Use a pad for the bunion
- Seek help from a podiatrist
What kind of help can I get?
- A podiatrist can advise on proper footwear
- Orthotics can be prescribed by a podiatrist
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy for painful bunion
- Foot mobilisation Techniques to reduce the symptoms of bunion pain