Achilles tendinopathy is a condition where there is overuse of the Achilles tendon which can cause pain, swelling and stiffness. Pain is known to develop in the morning when waking up or during rest after exercise.
How did this happen?
- Repetitive injuries to the Achilles tendon
- Wearing inappropriate footwear
What should I do?
- Rest and do not participate in strenuous activities that apply pressure to the foot
- Ice pack can help reduce inflammation
- Properly stretch before and after exercise
- Anti-inflammatory drugs can be taken to provide temporary pain relief
- Seek help from a podiatrist
What kind of help can I get?
- A podiatrist can advise on proper footwear and exercises
- A medical insole can be prescribed
- Surgery might be needed if symptoms continue 3-6 months after conservative methods
- Shockwave therapy can be provided
How long till it recovers?
- It can take up to 3-6 months to see improvements for conservative methods